Bacon and Eggs Pie

I am in shock! We are still getting freezing temperatures and it was just a little over a week ago that we were still getting Snow! Our poor fruit trees =(. I have two hummingbird feeders in front of my kitchen window and there is an ornamental cherry tree also out in view. If you look closely, you will see one of my visiting hummingbirds sitting on the top branch. The sun was out all day today and this has been the first time that I have been able to even think about digging in my dirt and planting a few flowers in my window boxes. Usually by now I have already started my veggie garden. I get no veggie garden this year. I am a little sad but I think I am going to spend this season doing an overhaul. . .since my garden is raised. I think red and black swirled cottage stone around the one side and capped off with black 1 x 2 caps will look great. I ordered two pallets to be delivered in the next week. I just love new projects!
Breakfast this morning was a breeze thanks to 80 Breakfasts! She posted a Bacon and Eggs Pie that originally came from Donna Hay's Modern Classics I, page 158. I just had to try it!
Her version looked so much more inviting. My dish was a little on the small side and the bacon just wasn't going to cooperate. The Puff Pastry was trimmed to fit with kitchen scissors but I over trimmed. At the base, under the eggs and bacon is a coating of wholegrain mustard and Parmesan cheese. After frying the bacon seperately, the overall baking of this easy breakfast took 16 minutes and the flavor was delicious! I will make this again, if not just to use tame bacon and better fitting puff pastry so that I can get a better picture. Did I mention that this breakfast tastes delicious?
Thank you 80 Breakfasts for inspiring a new breakfast treat to be tried and loved!
Bacon and Egg Pies(adapted from Donna Hay's Modern Classics I, page 158)
1 sheet ready-made puff pastry (mine is 9.5 x 9.5 inches, you will have some scraps left over…so use this!)
6 strips of bacon (Donna rationed 2 rashers per person, but I felt we deserved 3 each)
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (Donna used cheddar)
1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
4 eggs
Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).- Place bacon on a baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven for about 8-10 minutes. You just want to get the edges a bit crisp. Remember you are going to be baking it again with the tart! When done, drain on paper towels.- Thaw pastry (in my kitchen this takes two seconds so I make sure everything is ready before taking it out of the freezer) and cut to fit two 1-cup capacity pie dishes (I just used whatever I thought would fit).- Spread mustard on the pastry bases and sprinkle with the cheese.- Top this with three pieces of bacon for each pie. I like to curve them around so they will cradle the eggs.- Break two eggs over each pie.- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the eggs have set to your liking. Serve immediately.- Serves two.


Comments

Deborah said…
What a delicious breakfast!

Popular Posts