Canning Peach Jam


Peach Jam to Drool For Recipe

By shandy
This recipe has won prizes and when you taste it. . .well, hording comes to mind. I was impressed with the depth of flavor and that the seasoning is perfect for me. Heat a large pot of water to boiling and dip your peaches in it for about 20 secs. for a quick peeling method. 8 cups of peaches is around 11 large peaches. This is one of the best jams I have made yet! : D


Ingredients
8 c. peaches, pitted, peeled, chopped the size of a pair of dice and slightly mashed
4 T. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
6 T. powdered fruit pectin
6 c. sugar
1 T. crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1/4 t. ginger powder
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. allspice
zest of 1/2 lemon


Directions
Sterilize the jars, rings and lids by using boiling water.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the peaches and lemon juice to a boil. Add the pectin and return the mixture to a boil. Stirring constantly, slowly add the sugar. Stir in the crystallized ginger, ginger powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and lemon zest and continue to boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and skim any foam from the top of the jam. I always add 1/2 T. butter at this time to settle the foam.
Carefully pour the jam into the sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch space between the jam and the neck of the jar. Cover with the lids and screw on the bands. Process the jars for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

I am standing here making dinner and stirring my peach jam. There is nothing quite like coming home from working all day to stressing about peaches spoiling and knowing that I feel like I am competing against time along with *also* knowing that my family is hungry for dinner and my peach jam may be prize winning but it will not do for dinner! I will NOT lose this fruit. How can I say that I have saved money by buying directly from the orchards then get home and let it go to waste and have to chuck it?? Well, this thought has been my competition. I so need to learn self control. You know, I say this now but if and when I go back, I will be on this hoarding thing again and self-control will have gone right out the window. My poor husband will actually try and get me to remember this rough moment in time of total exhaustion and I will look at him like he has lost his marbles! I mean really. All I will have to do is look at all this fruit that they are practically giving away and these fabulous recipes will be flashing before my eyes. That's it! Sad but true and right now I can't possibly look at another peach without feeling ill. My jars are pretty though.

Comments

Popular Posts