Cornish Hens

Cornish Hens With Pecan Stuffing And Port Wine Sauce
I always have thought that cornish hens are a wonderful backdrop for trying so many different flavor combinations along with being a pretty presentation opportunity, especially when the challenge arises for last minute entertaining. This recipe is one of my favorites for just such occurances! Starving friends that I haven't seen in a decade just showed up out of the blue and I had 3 hours to come up with something. Now, if they could have waited just a couple more days. . .like let's say, for Thanksgiving, there would have been enough food to feed half the country side and I would have completely been ready to impress! Instead, I am left thinking that I should have meals already assembled in the freezer like I used to, including pies that I would put together, freeze, then pop the pie out of the pie pan (since it was now frozen) and put into freezer ziploc bags. I would have a dozen different kinds of pies in the freezer . . .but this was when I was organized. I think I forgot how to be that person. I'm lucky I can get one fruit pie made when it crosses my mind! Okay, I am focused again and here is my last minute something:

Ingredients:
Cornish Hen:
4 Cornish Hens
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
Pecan Stuffing:
4 T. butter
1/4 c. onion, chopped
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. cooked white rice
1/2 c. pecan halves
Port Wine Sauce:
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. minced onion
3 T. flour
1 T. chicken bouillon granules or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
3 T. currant jelly
1 c. dark sweet cherries, drained and pitted
3/4 c. port wine
1 c. water

Directions:
Cornish Hens:
Brush the hens with butter and dredge with flour. Stuff the cavities with Pecan Stuffing (see below) but do not pack. Place uncovered in a 450 degree oven for 45 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a heated serving platter. Serve with Port Wine Sauce (see below).
Pecan Stuffing:
Saute the onion in butter. Add the other ingredients. Toss lightly.
Port Wine Sauce:
Cook the onion in butter, stirring until tender; remove from the heat. Stir in the flour, chicken bouillon, currant jelly and water. Cook, stirring over medium heat until thickened. Add the wine and cherries and heat just to boiling, stirring gently so as not to hurt the cherries.

Comments

Kelly said…
Shandy it looks delicious! I'm sure your friends didn't expect such a wonderful dinner on such short notice! What a great friend you are..
Peter M said…
Bravo Shandy. This sounds & looks like an entree from a restaurant!
Deborah said…
What an elegant meal! I have never made cornish hens, but you are tempting me to try now!
Anonymous said…
Man, that sounds so, SO tasty!

Popular Posts