SMS Fallen Chocolate Souffle Cake

First, Sarah the Blue Ridge Baker did not pick a flop recipe; she is so cute...you must read her blog about her choice and worrying about picking the flop recipe. You can also get the recipe by clicking on Sarah's link above.
Sarah's choice for Sweet Melissa's Sunday recipe: Fallen Chocolate Souffle Cake. I think the cake is tasty but not one of the better dense chocolate cakes I have tried. I did get to use my 10" springform pan for the first time. I love taking new cooking ware out of a box...I feel so accomplished! I used a template to make a powdered sugar design and added slices of mango to the top...all I had on hand for fresh fruit was mango so there it is. I did enjoy the cake and needed a serious chocolate fix. I have to tell you that I made the cake today instead of earlier in the week, which is a disappointment to myself. I swore after I was finished with college I would have all this time to get on top of all my baking challenges. Instead, I feel even further behind. Friday night, after work, I went to the Movie Julia, and Julie....LOVED IT!!!! Julia Child is my hero and I have long had all of her cookbooks. She didn't even start cooking until she was 32! I am seriously contemplating following Julie's lead and cooking both volumes of Julia's French Cooking cookbooks in 365 days. I have actually been discussing the project and studying all the recipes. Giving myself a deadline could actually work! I have my stepson this weekend so we have been busy. Saturday, much to my disappointment, my daughter Ashley choice to go to the movie inglorious, ingenious, infamous....something, basterds (I am sooo sorry for typing that word on this blog but it was the movie title...I wouldn't even say it out loud when I asked for the tickets) and the movie was absolutely TERRIBLE! Hubby didn't like it but Dustin (stepson) and Ashley (my daughter) found it humorous. Ashley enjoys watching Brad Pitt. I had my eyes closed the whole movie...I couldn't even peek through my fingers! Just HORRIBLE! I should have got up and left but we were sitting in at the top line of seats, the theater was dark and I had a long skirt on that I knew I would trip on the way down if I attempted it in the dark so I suffered through the movie. After the movie, with a terrible head ache, I asked if we could go to Ben and Jerry's for ice cream. You know, Ben and Jerry's only serves simple waffle cones and waffle bowls just like Baskin Robbins??! I am positive that I like the Cold Stone Creamery better because the company made a point of being different and the ice cream combinations are delicious!
Today, Dustin is finishing is pillow. He is 16 years old and wants to learn how to do everything. I am so proud of him. He was camera bashful but here he is working on his pillow, minus his face =):
The pictures below are of me preparing the cake. I had so much trouble breaking up a solid block of Callebaut semi-sweet chocolate for melting with butter over a double boiler.
The chocolate looks thick and adding 1/3 of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture did add an airy texture.
I incorporated the rest of the egg whites and poured the batter into my 10" springform pan.Dustin and I had to go to the fabric store to get the trim and stuffing for his pillow so I had to relie on hubby to get the cake out on time. He was a nervous wreck. I felt terrible was he was so cute because he took boocoo pictures while Dustin and I were at the store. Here is one of the pictures and I think he did great!

Thank you Sarah for choosing this week's recipe!

Comments

Sarah said…
Aw, thanks Shandy, you definitely made me smile! Your cake looks beautiful. I'm dying to see Julie & Julia - I just finished the book, and really loved it. Thanks for baking with me this week!
Once my "flu" recover, I will definitely bake this chocolate souffle cake which chocolate is my family's favorite..
Nina said…
I really like the mango and powdered sugar template. It looks so pretty!
<3
Unknown said…
Your powdered sugar template looks wonderful as does your souffle! Great job. I saw Julie and Julia when it first came out and loved it too :)
k.a.r.e.n said…
That is an adorable powdered sugar design! Its great. Your souffle looks really good.
Jeannette said…
the powdered sugar is beautiful! i wish i could think of these things as i'm baking but i was in a rush, rush, rush to get this into the fridge so as to not ruin the surprise for my mom's bday.

absolutely beautiful!
Flourchild said…
Yum Shandy your Souffle looks so good. Im bummed I didn't get to make the SMS or the TWD souffle. We went to family camp with our church and I didn't have a minute to spare! Im going to make one of the souffles someday! Im sooo happy you got to see J&J! I think you should SO bake through that book. I will be a loyal fan and cheer you on! If I live closer I would even sample your food for you! Thanks for all your kind words you say to me..you are the best! I love the picture of you eating the cake..your so darn pretty! How cool your step son is making a pillow..so neat!
Eliana said…
Your cake looks great. Awesome job Sandy.

Popular Posts