SMS - Strawberry Rhubarb (Mixed Berries) Cobbler Pie with Brown Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream.

Sweet Melissa Sunday for this week was chosen by Tracey's Culinary Adventures. Tracy chose a Spring time colorful and fun strawberry rhubarb cobbler pie that looked perfect for a little homemade Sweet Melissa brown sugar vanilla ice cream. I did change the recipe for the cobbler pie to a mixture of berries since we are not rhubarb people. Blueberries and blackberries with the strawberries! Fun, pretty and just what I needed for a little baking pick-me-up.Sweet Melissa's pie crust recipe does not have me jumping for joy when I roll it out. I am not sure why but I seem to fight it every time. Out of pure stubbornness, I tried the recipe again, freezing EVERYTHING like Melissa states in her pie dough section and the crust rolls out fine but transporting to the pie dish and crimping are not picture perfect. I do not think the pie crust recipe and me are compatible!
This was a LONG recipe when you think about the chilling times for the pie crust, making the dough for the cobbler and finishing assembly of the dessert. I did add making Melissa's ice cream, which includes making the ice cream mixture, chilling for 4 hours, making the ice cream in a machine or KA bowl and freezing for 4 hours to overnight. We did not wait till overnight because the ice cream was silky and delicious!I absolutely adore my Kitchen Aide ice cream bowl. I keep it in the freezer at all times so when I feel like throwing together ice cream, the bowl is already chilled and ready to go. I have made ice cream in an electric mixer for years where the machine takes at least 30 minutes and a LOT of noise is emitted from a tiny motor along with the mess of rock salt, ice water and a mess of ice.
This little bowl has None of that. Simple, quick, easy, efficient.For the recipe to this wonderful strawberry rhubarb cobbler pie, please head over to Tracey's site and get the recipe or buy Sweet Melissa's Baking Book.
I loved the flavors and the biscuits on top were a fun addition. When I was done assembling all 3 parts, I sat back and just looked at the dessert before putting the cobbler pie in the oven. You get this feeling of pride that you finished it and the dessert really looks pretty.



















Comments

Your dessert indeed looks very pretty and you have me very curious about the Ice Cream Bowl. I'm going to have to look into that.
Nina said…
Gorgeous pie. An all Berry pie does sound pretty amazing. Also, ice cream and pie with cute flowers on top? It's adorable and sounds yummy!
Tessa said…
I love your cobbler flowers! I didn't get to make the pie this week because the time commitment didn't flow with my final exam tomorrow :-( Your pie looks delicious though. You can't go wrong with a berry mixture!
Candy said…
Your pie is gorgeous! I love the flower shaped biscuits!

I love my Kitchenaid ice cream bowl too.
Stephanie said…
yours looks really great, love your little flowers - i did little stars!! :) i wish i hadn't taken my ice cream mixer bowl out of the freezer! i usually keep mine in there too for when the mood strikes to make ice cream but i needed room in the freezer recently and had to take it out!! :(
anyway yours came out excellent looking! the mixed berries addition sounds great.
Unknown said…
What a beautiful pie Shandy! I love that you used such a fun cookie cutter for your biscuits. I thought of the brown sugar vanilla ice cream to go with this pie too but I couldn't find the motivation to make it so kudos to you for making both recipes! Thanks for baking with me this week :)
I bet the ice cream was a stage for the berries. What a great combination. Love your ice cream bowl. Have never seen one.
margot said…
Your pie looks so pretty with the flowers! I thought this was a satisfying dessert to make (and eat), too, and so perfect for spring. I couldn't resist making the brown sugar ice cream to pair with it either, it was a super combination.
Tiff said…
Beautiful dessert! I love the mixed berries!
yes, this pie just look perfect, Shandy!
This comment has been removed by the author.
Your pie looks great! The biscuits are too cute. I agree with you on the time to make this recipe...it took me a good solid 2 hours just to get this baby in the oven....then add the baking time.....but it was worth it! ;)
spike. said…
looks gorgeous. super impressed that you made ice cream too!
Hanaâ said…
I love the fruit combination you used. And your cobbler flowers are super adorable! Brown sugar ice cream... what a great pairing. I made that ice cream recipe last year and I liked it (I normally don't like ice cream).
Flourchild said…
Wow Shandy this turned out so good! Im glad you enjoyed it!

Popular Posts