Almost Apple Pie a la Mode

I am suppose to be doing homework for my accounting finals for this weekend and I keep finding something to sidetrack me. Nothing like a little extra pressure and stress! What is dinner without dessert and a cheater dessert at that. I had a poundcake in the freezer that keeps calling for me to use it. . .so tonight was its lucky night! I made a mock apple pie a la mode with a twist. What's the twist. . .aside from the pound cake? I used pecan ice cream and caramel sauce. I just bought a jar of caramel sauce at a gourmet store that was made here in WA. I just couldn't resist and I am supporting small businesses close to home. That is what I am telling myself and I am sticking to it! Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
Warm apple compote:
4 T. unsalted butter
1/4 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced

Assembly:
1 loaf plain pound cake, sliced 1 1/2-inch thick and slightly toasted (I used the broiler to toast both sides)
1 pint of Pecan Ice Cream
1 14 1/2 ounce jar of prepared caramel sauce, warmed. . .you won't need the whole jar

Directions:
Make Compote:
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat butter with sugar until butter is melted. Add apple slices and saute until lightly browned and caramelized, about 10 minutes. (Apples should be soft but not mushy.)

Assemble Dessert:
Place a slice of pound cake on a dessert plate and spoon over a generous helping of apples with cooking liquid. Top with a scoop of pecan ice cream. Drizzle with warmed caramel sauce.
NOTE: You can also try vanilla ice cream with warmed chocolate sauce. This would be really GOOD too! =D

Comments

Deborah said…
Oh, I was thinking of making an apple pie today, but this sounds so much better!!

Popular Posts