I am in the mood for strawberries, mainly because the sun is out and yet it is chilly. Fred Meyers had strawberries but the berries are only half ripe. Meaning, the top 1/4 of the strawberry is white and the rest is red. I was reluctant to buy them but I am so hungry for something that reminds me of spring or early summer so I caved. A bright and cheerful breakfast is so worth it and I am happy to say that the strawberries did have a nice flavor so buying them was worth it.
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 T. ground cinnamon
- 1 t. ground nutmeg
- 2 c. fresh strawberries, leave some to make strawberry fans with
- 1 8 ounce box of cream cheese
- 2 T. butter
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 T. sugar granulated
- 2 T. powdered sugar
- 4 croissants, sliced in half, lengthwise
- Rinse off strawberries and take off stem top. Slice the strawberries up and place in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar and lemon juice. Stir to combine and then remove about 3 T. of strawberries for on top of croissants. The rest of the strawberries you will want to mash slightly. The juice at the bottom of the bowl will be drizzled over the top of the croissant at the end.
- Warm skillet on medium heat and melt 2 Tablespoons of butter.
- Dipping mixture: Mix together eggs, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Dip the croissant halves into the mix to coat on both sides and place in the skillet flat side down first. Brown on each side and then remove from the skillet. Spread one half of croissant with cream cheese and top with about 3 Tablespoons of mashed strawberries. Set top half of croissant on filling. Drizzle strawberry sauce over croissant and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Set strawberry fan and serve.