SMS: Crunchy with a Creamy Filling ~ Chocolate Peppermint Meringues

Sweet Melissa Sundays. I fought this one. I baked everything under the kitchen roof while trying to convince myself just how easy this candy dessert would be. I found 2 bananas close to expiring so, telling myself how wonderful I was for baking something with them instead of putting the bananas with the rest of the old geezer bananas in the freezer, I baked banana cupcakes with caramel cream cheese frosting. Recipe, of course, below. Then I found strawberries I had big ideas for in the refrigerator. Not so gorgeous now since the red berries have been in the chiller for over 3 days. Cut the good pieces out and pulled out a recipe for strawberry scones. Another killer choice.



Still early. If I am going to make the candy, I have plenty of time. I go down into the study and read the recipe. Chocolate on chocolate with peppermint. Too much chocolate and no color; except chocolate brown. It is summer, I want color. Decide on chocolate peppermint ganache as stated by Melissa BUT the chocolate will be deleted out of the meringues and pink coloring will be swirled in. Now I want to make the candy. Go upstairs and cook bacon and potato soup. Find meatballs in freezer with serious freezer burn and get the crockpot out. Make BBQ meatballs.


Clean and to be absolutely honest, I am at a loss if there is something else I cooked or baked . . . I feel like I am forgetting something. 9 pm and I guess the time was right. I made SMS and the candy turned out perfect. Loved the crispy crunch of the sweet meringue and the creamy chocolate/peppermint ganache was just right for the loud filler flavor. I actually had a ball making these cute little candies. Of course, I had to use a star tip and play with sizes. For heavens sakes; why did we join a baking group if we didn't want to have a new playfield to go crazy in?



Kelly of Sweetgrass Sensibilities, you are brilliant for picking this week's recipe out of Sweet Melissa's cookbook! Loved the candy. For the recipe, you will either have to buy the cookbook OR go to this weeks host's blog. Either way, a win-win choice! Do not forget to check out the rest of us crazy bakers having a little fun in the kitchen by clicking here!

Fleeting moments of perfection giving way to a lifetime of memories.


I almost forgot! Here is the recipe for the banana cupcakes with caramel cream cheese frosting. You may want to just add a spoon to the frosting and forget dolloping it onto the cupcakes.

My cupcake recipe came from Sally. A wonderful Internet cooking/baking friend who is talented beyond belief in the kitchen. The frosting recipe was adapted from the Cream Puffs in Venice blog and she is also amazing in the kitchen!

Banana Cupcakes

Ingredients:
¼ cup butter
¼ cup solid Crisco
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
¼ cup buttermilk or sour cream (I always use sour cream)


Directions:

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, Crisco, sugar and extract.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.
Mix dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream (or buttermilk).
Grease 18 muffin tins (or line tins with cupcake liners); fill tins 3/4 full (I always get exactly 18 out of this recipe).
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Cool and frost.

Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
1 pkg. (8 ounces) at room temperature

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/4 cup caramel sauce

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)

Directions:

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together at high speed until light (about 2 minutes).
Lower the speed and add the vanilla extract and caramel sauce. Mix well.
With the speed on low, add the icing sugar until incorporated and then increase the speed to high and whip the frosting for 2 minutes.
Apply liberally to the base of your choice.

Comments

Johanna said…
Hi!
I am a devoted reader and follower of your blog! I LOVE it. :) I am from sweden, so you've got a swedish fan! :)

I just loved your peppermint meringues, the pink and white maringues are lovely! I want to make them for my nephews b-day. Could you please, please, please post the recipe on how to make them your way, so they look like yours and not brown as in the original recipe? :)
I'd be SO happy if you could? :)

Or if you don't want to post it, you could send it to my mail?
shy_midnight@hotmail.com

It would make a small boy's day. :)

Sincerely,

Johanna
Candy said…
Gorgeous! Love the pink - how fun!
Kelly said…
Ooh, this is brilliant! The pink and the star shapes . . . both lovely!
You are so smart. The pink makes the meringues look like something special. While, they were pretty before, this takes it up several notches. I am glad you did make them and all that other good stuff.
Shandy said…
Johanna, thank you so much for the wonderful comments and Happy birthday to your nephew. I sent an email to you so I hope you received it =).

Candy Girl, I love summer colors so the pink was in. Thank you for the wonderful compliment.

Kelly, Thank you too!

Sweet and Savory, I did go a little overboard on all the other stuff and maybe should have left some of it out BUT I had to laugh at myself for being indecisive. Thank you for the comments =).
Nikki said…
so fantastic! i love the changes you made. i can't believe how much stuff you made this week...awesome! those banana cupcakes look delish...i too began the over-ripe banana recipe hunt this morning so i've got muffins in the oven for breakfast. have a great week!
~Nikki
www.makeandtakeblog.com
Ha ha! Your story about almost not making the meringues made me laugh. I didn't get started making mine until late on Saturday night and had to talk myself into it. Your meringues are fantastic! The food coloring is great! I think the chocolate ganache is plenty of chocolate in the recipe. Your version would make a lovely holiday gift. I just might steal your idea! ;)
Julie said…
Your cookies are so cute! Love, love, love the pink! I didn't make these but reading the posts today, I am wishing I had.

Love the cupcake recipe, too. YUM!!
those meringues are amazing! I have never seen peppermint meringues, I would love to try a few! your cupcakes look great too!
Eliana said…
Your meringues could not look more perfect. I absolutely love them.
Hanaâ said…
I love the pink stripes on your meringues. That color alone reminds me of the meringues I used to eat as a kid (they were dipped in teeny tiny rainbow colored sprinkles). The banana cupcakes look phenomenal. When did you say you were opening your own bakery again? :o)
Jeannette said…
Woo! that sounds like my one weekend were i went brownie crazy! at least it was eventful :)

and your meringues look awesome!! i am curious about how you get that beautiful pop of color!
Shandy said…
Hanaa, I will go into the bakery business when you decide to be partners with me =). Thank you!

Jeannette, Ah, thank you, I swirled pink food coloring into the meringue then smudged pink food coloring, using a toothpick, to the inside of my pastry bag. That was it.
very beautiful meringues, just lovely!
Shandy said…
Sonia, thank you for the compliment!
Shandy said…
Thank you Rebecca =).

Popular Posts