TWD: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream W/Chocolate Covered Cherries, Pecan Chunks and Swirls of Fudge Hardshell Over Chipotle Chocolate Cake Roll + SCONES!


Is the title a mouth full or what? I made a light pink maraschino whipped cream cheese filling a person could easily just eat with a spoon. Forget putting the filling in the cake roll . . . . that GREAT of a filling/frosting!

Dorie Greenspan's Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream (chosen by our wonderful host Katrina of Baking and Boys) is an amazing two part recipe. We start with a bittersweet chocolate, melted by pouring boiling heavy cream over broken up Ghirardelli pieces. Then the custard. Delicious! Added to the melted chocolate. Finger-dipping heaven!

Chill, use my KA ice cream bowl (made the best ice cream batch to date!), add chocolate covered cherries cut into two, pecan chunks and swirls of fudge Magic Shell (for thin, hard fudge layers).


I wanted a spicy sweet kick to accompany the rich and chunky ice cream.
A chocolate cake roulade with a hint of smoked chipotle chili powder (1 teaspoon to be exact) is baked then wrapped around maraschino syrup flavored whipped cream cheese filling.


Creamy, chunky, spicy, sweet heaven. We LOVED every bite! Tuesdays with Dorie is so much fun, especially when I get a chance to take the time and see how I want to approach a recipe. Thank you Katrina! Plus, if you want to make the chocolate ganache ice cream, the recipe is posted on her blog "and" if you have the time - check out the rest of the TWD group's ice cream adventures!

While the ice cream was chilling, I decided to play in my garden. A dangerous choir right now because the red bee balm is blooming like crazy and the hummingbirds think I am competition. They come at me with their pointy little beaks then buzz just over my head by inches! The little buggers sound like mini-jets zipping around. Nerve wracking~!
I can not believe we have had rain for the last several days and my sugar snap peas are busting at the seams. I have waited two years to be able to plant peas and I am not allowing slugs to get to them first, yuck!


I picked over a gallon of peas. I use to shell peas with Grandma on the patio way back when. I love warm family memories.


I also baked strawberry scones. These scones melt in your mouth and I had clementines to use so a clementine was cut in half and juiced, to be added in the glaze later. I thought I would share the strawberry scone recipe and the Maraschino whipped cream cheese filling/frosting recipe. I love sharing family treasures as much as finding new ones =).
Strawberry Scones with an Orange Glaze
Originally found at a baking friend's Grouprecipe.com site.
(Makes 9 square scones)
3 cups all purpose, unbleached flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks of cold, unsalted butter cut into tiny pieces
1 cup Half and Half
1 tablespoon plain yogurt
12 fresh Strawberries, sliced

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425°.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar together. Add the cold pieces of butter and work it into the flour using your hands. Don't overwork the flour and butter. Mix the yogurt into the Half and Half and add the strawberries. Add the liquid to the flour and mix gently.
Turn the dough out onto the lightly floured counter. Pat the dough into a square about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the dough into squares and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then glaze with a mixture of 1/2 cup powder sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and a splash of freshly squeezed orange juice or clementine juice.


Maraschino Whipped Cream Cheese Filling/Frosting
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 T. Maraschino cherry syrup

Directions:

In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt, cherry syrup and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream. Use as filling or frosting.

Comments

I am speechless. What you did is amazing. The photos say it all. Beautiful.

The filled roll is the perfect way to present the ice cream. They become partners.
Paula said…
My goodness. You were inspired this week. The swirly stuff looks irresistible.

Also enjoyed the picture of your garden. Looking healthy!
Pamela said…
Whew...you've been busy, huh? First of all, those top pictures are AMAZING. That dessert looks incredible. I also love the look of the strawberry scones. Fabulous.
Katrina said…
Holy moly! Look at that dessert! Looks and sounds fantastic! That third picture of the soft ice cream--heaven!
And the scones and even yum to the snap peas! Great post.
Thanks so much for churning along with me today!
Eliana said…
You took this week's ice cream pic to the next level Shandy. this all looks incredible.
Your TWD entry just took my breath away, and then those scones finished me off.....wow....what a great post...I want everything!!
Tia said…
wow oh my goodness you sure went all out with this :) yum!!!
Natalie said…
girl, you got a lot going on! kudos to you!
Wow! Lots of sweet goodness here!!

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I just wanted you to be aware that the cookbook giveaway requires you to enter the word of the day. You'll find it within the blog post. All 7 posts need to be commented on, either daily or by 8/17. Just a heads up.

Have a wonderful day!

Carmen
Anonymous said…
Wow, you outdid yourself! Your ice cream and cake roll look wonderful, and so do the strawberry scones!
Amber Marie said…
Wow - you did a lot with the ice cream - and it all looks delicious! :)
WOW!! The ice cream and cake roll are over the top, but then you add those gorgeous strawberry scones!! You're amazing! :)
Unknown said…
I don't know where to begin, honestly. Everything looks so delicious. I almost lick my computer screen.
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope you come and visit again. Have a great one. Michael
HappyTummy said…
ok, your ice cream looks fantastic. but the scones? to die for! you did a great job.

and i love your garden. i can hear the crunch in those sugar snap peas from here!
Nickki said…
Oh my, everything looks delicious! I love magic shell, it reminds me of my childhood!
Cakelaw said…
OMG - love your creativity! I think it sounds like a wonderful dessert combination. And the scones look great too. I have a strawberry rhubarb crumble to post soon - the scones remind me a little of that.
Heather S-G said…
Whoa! That is a whole lotta delicious! I don't know where to start...everything looks so tempting! But right now, I'm in the mood for a scone- so how 'bout I start there...drool! ;)
Katy said…
Um, wow!! I'm sort of speechless with all you did. Wonderful photos too.

The strawberry scones look and sound great. And I remember shelling peas with my grandmother too!
jIll said…
Quite the little overachiever, aren't we? Very nice!
Jodie said…
Looks fantastic! Love the ice cream roll!
Jules Someone said…
Wow! And wow again! Gorgeous food and photos. I'm impressed. And hungry.
Rachel said…
Wow! I love the chipotle roll! How fun!! I'm hungry looking at your blog! :)
Judy said…
Wow. I'm exhausted just reading about everything you accomplished! I like the sound of pecans and extra chocolate in the ice cream. The garden is lovely -- hummingbirds are my favorite! (I grew up in the Seattle area, which is why I love clouds, fog, and rain.)
Oh my your scones look SOOO good - I wish I had one right now with my morning coffee!
ok, the ice cream looks great, but man, that is an awesome cake roll!
Drick said…
that roulade is da bomb - the mother of all cakes and just love the strawberry scones

Popular Posts