TWD - Crunchy and Custardy Peach Mini - Tarts


Hosted by:


Recipe:

Crunchy and Custardy Peach Tart
(on page 346 and 347 of Dorie's Baking: from my home to yours
and posted on Rachel's blog.)



I made the almond sweet crust, suggested by Dorie, and made 4 mini-tarts instead of one BIG one. Robert Irvine on Dinner Impossible (Food Network Channel) would SOOOOO say I can't serve these, they look burnt! My name is behind this and throw everything in the garbage can.



I am having baking complexities beyond my control. No knob adjustments here. Common sense and timing is off. Item in oven starts to smell baked and yet the custard is sloppy . . . what do we do? Let the mini-tarts continue baking and forget to cover with foil. Where's the garbage can? Oh, I know; slip one to hubby in his lunch when he is not looking.




This tart is the least burnt but no fancy plate is going to help me out. Bummer. We will try one tonight but I am pretty sure the custard part will taste delicious. Sorry Rachel for not having this whole post be about your wonderful choice instead of my stream of whining. These little tarts smelled wonderful baking (until our mishap; I know still whining). Check Rachel's gorgeous tart out and grab the recipe while you are at it.


Dad and Mom swore up-and-down I was making up stories about the squirrels and chipmunks doing acrobats to get into the bird feeder's food. We must have had a hawk or owl present while they were visiting because I have never heard the outside THIS QUIET in a long time. I thought I would post a picture showing that I am not nuts. We DO have squirrels!


Nothing like sharing a picture with me having morning hair. Yeesh. I miss them already!!!!


Mom and I have so much in common. We LOVE flowers, collecting recipes, cookbooks, sharing baked goodies and shopping for new kitchen toys. It is hard having them live several states away.

Can you believe I forgot the camera? This was taken with my cellphone. Who does these things?? I am still in shock. I lug a camera all over the kitchen, have thousands of food photos but forget to take the camera with us. (sigh)
(Mom and Dad: We had a great time together and HAPPY 45th ANNIVERSARY!!!! We are proud of you for staying healthy, working out hard and eating right. Definitely shows! You both look so young! Thanks Mom for organizing my pantry, definitely looks great. Shadow is bumming no one is around to dote on her. She flops on the floor and I just step over her. She is looking up prices for an airline ticket as we speak. Love you guys!)

Comments

Hi Shandy,

Your tarts look BEAUTIFUL! Lovely job! I messed up and baked next weeks TWD recipe this week so had to make the peach recipe this afternoon. I made tarts too. I have photos but I'm just too tired to post them tonight.

Kindly, ldh
Rachel said…
your mini tarts are SO pretty! thanks for baking with me this week!
It is really humorous. You mentioned my tart was the right color and I was bemoaning it, being too light. I think yours are perfect and adorable and you think they look burnt.

Maybe, because, so much of my food is burnt that it doesn't look dark to me.

You should see the moussaka, I made tonight. That is burnt.

It is great to read how you speak of and to your parents. Love is special and certainly the most special with parent (excluding spouses).

May you always be blessed with such joy.
Thanks for sharing your family photos, you look exactly like your mom, just pretty !!
The Mortensens said…
I almost made minis too, but I was worried that it would make more than the four mini pans that I had. Now I know that four is just right!

Anyway, they still look delicious even thought their a little brown around the edges. I can imagine that it didn't stop anyone from scarfing it down!
natalia said…
Ciao ! Where is the garbage can ? I think they are fantastic !!! Love the squirrel !!!
TeaLady said…
I used to burn a lot of stuff. Daughter often asked me what I was burning for supper that night. Believe me your tarts are NOT BURNT!!!! They look just perfect.
The Bake More said…
I think your tart color is perfect. I don't like pale, undercooked looking crust. PS: your garden is a dream, even with the squirrels. Those little buggers drive me crazy, they are always digging up my bulbs.
Beth said…
Don't you dare throw them out! I think they look fine! And the proof is in the tasting.
Love your family photos.
Shandy said…
LDH, thank you for the wonderful comments! At least you have both TWD's done now. Hope you get some rest.

Rachel, thank you for the wonderful choice this week; YUM!

Sweet and Savory, I think we averaged out with perfect tarts between the two of us =). I get so disgusted when food burns. Frustration is a better word!
Thank you for the kinds words about my parents too; hugs.

Sonia, that is so sweet of you to say! Thank you!

The Mortensens, Thank you too! The minis turned out great for flavor.

Natalie, Hello and I am hiding the garbage can =). Thank you for your comments!

Tealady, thank you for the great comments! I guess the tarts are darker then I was expecting =).

Beth, thank you for the compliments.
Katrina said…
Love the pictures with your parents and your lil' tarts.

Popular Posts