TWD - Oatmeal Breakfast Bread with Pecan & Caramel Milk Chocolate Chunks and Maybe a little Dinner


I have been playing with homemade granola recipes all week and completely spaced on baking Tuesdays with Dorie's Oatmeal Breakfast Bread until Monday afternoon. I loved the idea of the bread but wanted handle-able small loaves; so why not miniature loaves. Then I looked at the dried fruit, sighed, and just couldn't. The double-batch of granola and me nibbling incessantly on said granola has wore out my chewing muscles . . . Layman's terms: My jaw is sore; strange dilemma. My inspiration for a substitution came from me digging through my hoarding secret spot (you know you have one too, smile, wink, wink) and finding a bar of Pecan & Caramel milk chocolate waiting to be broken into chunks. Perfect since the topping also has pecans.

The batter was enough to fill 7 little loaf pans. Too cute! Imagination and plating seemed to be exceptionally hard for me to handle tonight so here we are in all our glory.
New dilemma, You know you are tired "when" you slice the bread as mentioned by Dorie and look at the toaster, then look at your miniature slice and FINALLY see how the toaster will eat the itty bitty slice of bread if you drop it in. I do not see toasting in my immediate future.

Thank you Natalie of Oven Love (cute name for a blog!) for hosting this week and picking the Oatmeal Breakfast Bread. We love the bread and will get to share with my parents, who are visiting from Arizona. I can not wait to check out the rest of the group's loaves and if you want the recipe, click on Natalie's blog link or, better yet, Buy Dorie's cookbook. Don't forget to check out the Dorie baker list to see the rest of the groups gorgeous loaves!
Dinner was even spacey for me tonight so I semi-cheated but thought I would share because the dinner ended up delicious, which is still beyond comprehension.
I made Thai Chicken Fettuccine and the whole dinner took less then 20 minutes to make. I bought a package of handmade Pappardelle pasta (the company is out of Seattle) a week earlier and have been looking at the package in the refrigerator, waiting for it to speak to me. Nothing; "and" I had half a jar of salsa leftover, 1 orange, a bunch of cilantro screaming to be used and boneless chicken breasts in the freezer - SO, throw in a little creamy peanut butter and we have the Thai Chicken Fettuccine recipe.

I also cheated and used a package of Thai Shrimp Gyoza from the freezer section at Trader Joes. How could I possibly pass up a package that Clearly states the Gyoza was handmade in Thailand? I had to make my own sauce though.


THAI CHICKEN FETTUCCINE
(made 4 servings)
* 3/4 cup salsa
* 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
* 2 tablespoons orange juice
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 2 teaspoon soy sauce
* 8 to 10 ounces uncooked pappardelle pasta
* 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
* 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions:
* For sauce, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Set aside.
* Cook pappardelle according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Add red pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender.
* Drain pappardelle; top with chicken mixture and sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Comments

Eliana said…
Your bread looks like it turned out just perfect Shandy. That dinner looks mighty tasty as well.
Mary said…
I like the way you think--adding chocolate to the 'healthy' bread is genius! Dinner looks good too!
Jeannette said…
Yum!! your addition of caramel pecan candy is ingenious!! i must know the name of this wonderful candy bar!!

and not to worry, we see a lot of semi-homemade dinners on this side of the computer screen ;) as long as they are delicious is all that matters!
Natalie said…
glad you enjoyed the bread- i should have added some chocolate myself! thanks for baking with me!
Unknown said…
Oh yum on both fronts
Jennifer said…
YUM! Both look delicious! I LOVE the additions you made to your bread!
The Mortensens said…
Your minis look great and caramel pecan sounds good! Dinner looks fantastic too!
Sabrina said…
Your bread and pasta both look delicious! Nice work! YUM!
Hindy said…
I'm so glad someone added chocolate. I think it'd be great in this recipe. Love your mini-loaves!
Hy Shandy,

Beautiful and very tempting pics...loved your nice presentation.
First time here...wonderful space you have...Am your happy follower now..:)
Do drop in at my space sometime.
ann low said…
Shandy, This is really delicious! Wish that I am invited to your place and enjoy this.
Please visit my new site and join a little giveaway.
Tia said…
wow, those are the BEST addins ever!
Judy said…
Chocolate sounds like the perfect addition. I like the idea of mini loaves or muffins, too.
Katrina said…
Great minds with the chocolate in the bread. Although chocolate and caramel chunks--um, yum!
Hanaâ said…
Your little loaves look super cute!! And the pasta looks creamy and delicious.

How nice that your parents are in town visiting. Enjoy your time with them!!

I just noticed the Heavenly Cake Baker badge on your blog. Did you join??? That would be awesome. We'd be in 3 baking groups together :o)
spike. said…
LOVE the sound of your variation. how could one have dried fruit instead of chocolate?
Katy said…
Love the mini loaves!
Rachel said…
Your mini loafs sound tasty!
TeaLady said…
I love the chocolate mix you put in the bread. I bet it was good.

And the Thai dish looks delicious. Have to try that one.
Leslie said…
I am crazy jealous of your great bread (pecans!) and your dinner looks fantastic! I never would have thought of adding the peanut butter but I bet that's what pulled it together. Yummy indeed!
Laura said…
I NEVER would have thought to combine those ingredients for the Thai pasta. Interesting...
Joanne said…
Love that oatmeal breakfast bread. What a great switch from traditional breakfast. That's on my list.
Kayte said…
Looks great, love the little minis.

Popular Posts